Garmin Instinct 2 Solar
After having tried a few different watches within the last two years or so, both mechanical and smart, I think I finally found what I’m looking for. It’s Garmin for the win!
Following previous experiences with the Apple Watch and the Pixel Watch, the Garmin Instinct 2 Solar perfectly fit my needs and wants. In fact, I find Garmin’s whole Instinct series quite interesting.
Three things that totally didn’t gel with me when I was wearing the Apple and Pixel watches: 1) The dismal battery life, 2) screens prone to scratches and cracking, and 3) the fact that it’s highly distracting and have way more features than I need.
Therefore, I started looking for a rugged watch that had superior battery life as well as just having enough features to meet my immediate needs. I regularly go hiking in mountains, so I definitely wanted that support. In addition to the typical features you find in a dumb digital watch, the only other features I wanted were mostly health and activity tracking. I didn’t need a fancy high resolution color screen, just an unobtrusive simple display. A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of Garmin. He loved his Garmin “fenix” watch. However, I didn’t want to break the bank. I did some more searching and not only did I find the Instinct, but it was also on sale at my favorite outdoor equipment store. Since then, the Garmin Instinct 2 Solar is on my wrist.
So what do I like about it:
- It’s rugged and has already taken a few beatings without damaging the watch.
- It has 3-4 weeks of battery life, depending on how much time I spend in the sun.
- Having a vibrating alarm on my wrist is wonderful. No more obnoxious audible alarms on my phone.
- The activity data and health tracking seems accurate.
- It’s relatively lightweight.
- The altitude tracking is great when hiking.
- The phone app is easy to navigate.
- Because I don’t want it to be a distraction, I have customized the alerts to only show text messages.
This is a keeper! That said, I don’t think I would pay full retail price for this watch. I believe I got mine at 25% discount. I recommend waiting until you see a sale.
You can view/download the Garmin Instinct 2 series manual below…